Goodyear Bicycle Tires launches the all-new Newton MTF and Newton MTR
Goodyear Bicycle Tires has launched the next generation gravity range of mountain bike tires with two new tread patterns, the Newton MTF and Newton MTR. First launched in 2018 with Goodyear’s official licensee, Rubber Kinetics, the all-new Goodyear Newton MTF and Newton MTR mark the most significant advancement in the brand’s mountain bike tire portfolio.
The Newton MTF (front) and Newton MTR (rear) tires have been developed as a complementary system, providing confidence and inspiring performance across a wide range of conditions for modern gravity and e-mountain bikes. The next generation Newton tires incorporate leading-edge technology in tread compound development, casing lay-ups, as well as proprietary construction methods, all of which are produced at the recently expanded dedicated Goodyear Bicycle Tire factory in Taiwan.
Get to know the range:
Newton MTF – The large block tread design is optimized for straight-line control, cornering confidence and effective braking. Progressive block layout limits dirt buildup, maintaining performance across a wide range of conditions.
Newton MTR – The drive-focused tread delivers speed and durability with tracking performance that inspires confidence when transitioning from straight-lines to cornering across a wide range of conditions.
Both tread patterns are offered in three iterations, using a simplified naming structure based on the suggested usage: Trail, Enduro, Downhill.
The next generation Newton range has been developed with a progressive mindset from the team at Goodyear Bicycle Tires:
– MX Inspired Design: The profile of the Newton range is inspired by the motocross (MX) world. By utilizing a rounder profile for the Newton MTF (front), damping capacity is increased and the tire footprint is elongated; in the real world, this offers improved straight-line control while providing a greater contact patch for braking. The Newton MTR (rear) maintains a squarer profile and paired with uniform, closely spaced outer knobs. The tire’s wider footprint offers greater drive traction and confidence inspiring transition between center tread to side knobs.
– Intended Use Derived Construction: Both tread patterns in the Newton range are available in Trail, Enduro and Downhill specific casing layups. Each casing layup is then paired with multi-durometer compounds developed specifically for the tire’s intended application and front / rear use.
– Simplified System: The bicycle tire world is full of confusing marketing terms, technical jargon, and unwieldy acronyms. The strategy is simple: pick a tread pattern and pick your riding style. By pairing casing and compound with front and rear specific tread patterns, tire selection becomes less confusing and allows the rider to do what they do best.
The tread pattern is just one part of the story; developing the right compound is essential to a performance tire. The Newton range features the latest in compound advancements from Goodyear Bicycle Tires, including:
– Dynamic Grip3S: Front specific, triple density 40/42/60a compound, offering the ultimate level of grip and slow rebound properties. Found on Newton MTF Enduro and Downhill models.
– Dynamic Grip3: Rear specific, triple density 40/50/60a compound, offering balanced levels of grip and treadwear. Found on Newton MTR Enduro and Downhill models.
– Dynamic Trail2: Trail specific dual density 50/60a compound specifically formulated to balance grip, wear and rolling efficiency.
The next generation range of Goodyear Newton tires total 15 variations across two tread patterns which cater to riders’ needs based on diameter, width and intended use.
“After two-and-a-half years in development, hundreds of samples, dozens of compound updates, casing layups, scrapped molds and adjustments, it gives us great pleasure to finally reveal what we’ve been working on,” said Ben Evans, commercial director of Goodyear Bicycle Tires. “This is just the first of our gravity and eMTB focused projects, and we cannot wait to continue our story with products that have real purpose and provide value to riders around the world.”
– Newton MTF/MTR Trail – Shipping Now
– Newton MTF/MTR Enduro – Shipping Now
– Newton MTF/MTR Downhill – Shipping July